Friday, July 7, 2006

Mmmm Garden


So I guess it's about time for a new blog. And since my favorite hubby is now home for at least one day I actually get some time to myself. It's amazing how nice it is to have some alone time. The garden we planted has been growing wonderfully in his absence and with my sparse care. I finally got out there today to weed it and replant our pumpkin seed because the first round didn't come up. Our potatoes ( the flowering plants in the back) should be ready to harvest, they definately thrive in this Idaho soil. And our tomato plants have little green tomatoes. Everything else has been something of a struggle but I was able to make two extremely small salads from the spinach leaves we grew. And we have enjoyed about 4 strawberries so far. I have high hopes that the squash and zucchini will continue to grow but I am nervous because they are in the pots off to the side of the garden. I'm not sure if they have enough room in there. I'm still a little nervous about what the head housing people are going to say when we eventually move out, since we (Mike) dug up this patch of lawn in front of the apartment but it looks so nice. And tasty. I hope you all are having success with your gardens this summer.

4 comments:

Mark said...

I wouldn't hope too much for the zucchini; it will grasp onto any slight hope and then take over your garden, grow zucchinis as big as canoes and will start picking off small children for food.

Julie said...

ha! I am impressed with all you have done. I am jealous of the soil and the spot you have. We have a meager garden this year, pathetic, really. I may have to trade you some eggs for some good veggies!

Jared said...

Where did you find those rocks? I will trade you some old cinder blocks for some more rocks...

wendys said...

There are plenty of rocks to be had in our neighborhood...just try digging a garden and you will find more than you need! Come on over and visit us and we will hook you up.