

I was first introduced to IKEA just over 2 years ago in Fairbanks, Alaska. Our last summer in Alaska we moved into a small cabin off of Farmers Loop Road. It was a one room cabin with a loft for the sleeping area. It was completely furnished in IKEA furniture. I really liked the look of the cabin with the IKEA furniture, really clean and contemporary. I worried about how it would hold up to the toddler test, and I had every right to worry. The first problem was a shaggy white carpet. I was scared that we would stain it so we kept blankets over the top of it. Somehow, even with the carpet covered, we managed to get white shaggy fur all over our clothes, and all over our toddler. Annoyance number two was a really awkward shaped piece of storage furniture that wasn't good for storing much of anything. It was wooden with a velvety black lid (see photo above) We soon found out it was a fragile piece of furniture and promptly broke the lid lifting mechanism. We also had an incident involving a chicken enchilada and a kitchen chair cushion. We could not get the stain out and eventually asked my sister who lived nearest to an IKEA drive to San Diego and buy a replacement cushion for us. There were many odd shaped furniture pieces there and the whole experience left me with a slight dislike of IKEA furniture. On a recent trip to utah we visited the new IKEA store there. It was huge! And we loved it. They still have plenty of weird pieces of furniture but we came away fully satistfied in our purchases of 2 kitchen rugs, a bathroom rug, kids plates and cups, a bedroom lamp and dish scrubber. And in the end I think I would even recommend their stuff to friends.
13 comments:
I have to admit it is a fun store to walk through. They are great marketers! I can't wait to see your new stuff
Has Tiffany had her baby yet? Her due date is sometime in September, that's all I remember.
Not yet, she has a week and a half left. I'll let you know!
Those dish scrubbers are a buck and I almost got one because I liked how it looked and not because I needed it. I have many wants there and not many needs. One of my wants is the black metal bed frame.
lyndon was really me.....
I was totally gonna connect with Lydon on the appearance of the dish scrubbers, but now I will only say, I had to glue that stupid Ikea furniture together 3 times before it held together, and the third time (following the advice of a structural engineer) I added structural supports.
I must say that my favorite purchase there so far has been the kids cups and plates. The kids eat on them, and then they use them in the play kitchen..so many uses!
Just to clarify...I do wash the dishes before they play with them....
i wish there was an ikea close to me. although the one time i did shop at the one sort of near my house in California it was weird. just very... european. has it been americanized at all, or is it still just a bit off?
Love the wonder woman picture by the way. I watched that show every day as a kid and wore my underwear on top of my clothes and a towel around my neck. :)
I must admit I don't really enjoy going to IKEA. The mass of people and the maze-ish way they have the store set up makes me feel slightly claustrophobic. This is coming from someone who hates shopping in general though. Maybe I should try their kitchen stuff?
I do like IKEA just for the walk through...I go way more than I actual buy things. And no trip to IKEA is complete without a plate of meatballs and steamed potatoes...or if you prefer, a hot dog and chips for $1.50 downstairs. mmmm, swedish fish.
I put in my vote for the children's dishes as my favorite items. I really like them, and I don't know why. I thought IKEA was an interesting experience. I felt a little bit lost in it, myself. I did like the displays of furniture-- I thought it was fun to get ideas. Other than that...I miss TARGET, *sniff* *sigh* *whaaaaaaaa!*
oh yeah-- if anyone happens to go their in the future-- could you buy me another set of kid cups and bowls? I will pay you back, thanks!!
I think this my record for the most comments! wahoo.
Post a Comment