Monday, October 21, 2013

Fall Harvest!

Today I harvest the last bit of the garden, all our lovely carrots. They are sweet and tasty. 
 This year we had more cucumbers than we knew what to do with! I had at least 15 in my fridge at one time. Sheesh. Next year I won't replant and replant thinking the seeds didn't work. We also ate 2 delicious canteloupes. We got enough tomatoes for some eating, and canning a batch of spaghetti sauce and salsa but we had way too many freeze on the vine. I think they need for sun next year.
We have been trying to get the kids outside before it really gets too cold. They are such good sports and Finn can't get enough of the great outdoors. I just have to say outside or bike and he will stop fussing and head to the door ready to play. His favorite thing is to walk out the front door, and race to the elementary school playground across the street with us chasing him. 


 This is Finn on his first day of nursery. I can't believe how big he is getting! He is so much fun and his vocabulary is growing so fast. His favorite words are no, mama, hot, hat, nose, yaya (eliza), cracker, juice, cheese, baby, diaper, puppy, door and more no no no no all day long!

The sad thing in writing this blog is knowing that a good friend of mine won't be reading and commenting on this post as she died this week. I will miss you Shamae! Hug your friends today.

9 comments:

Mel said...

What a great harvest! I will miss Shamae too. I always looked forward to her blog updates and funny Shamae thoughts she'd post on FB.

michaelstubbs said...

Nice work in the garden this year. I am sorry that you have to carve the green pumpkin and not me, cause I totally won't do it.

Also: Goodbye Shamae. You were a great friend and neighbor.

Fort Family said...

Love seeing your kiddos growing up!Last couple days we've been reminiscing about our days at ISU...many memories with Stubbs and Lyons :)

Josie and Wayne said...

A lot of our tomatoes froze on the vine too, and we are way farther south than you! We just had one night where it frosted and it wiped everything out and now it's been super warm ever since.
I am still in shock after hearing about Shamae. Life is so fragile. My thoughts are with her family.

Julie said...

We had frozen tomatoes-- way more than ripe ones :( Your harvest looks awesome! We haven't ever been able to grow cantaloupe here-- bummer. The kids look so great and happy! I am sad about your friend. That is so so sad.

Can't wait to see you guys at T-giving.

Annalisa said...

Summer went way too fast. I guess we've been lucky to have the snow hold off as long as it has, though. You have to show us what you end up doing with that green pumpkin. Also, sorry for your loss of your friend. Some things definitely go way too fast.

Abby said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Truly.

Your pumpkins are amazing. And your hiking spot looks so much cooler than what we have around here. You have vegetation!

Jangs said...

I am so sorry about your friend. I am really behind on my blog reading. Your garden is incredible by the way

Kandace Welch said...

You have inspired me for our garden plans for next summer now that we have a house with a garden. My 1 year old calls her big sister Yaya too (for Aliyah). I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. We just had a friend die up here in a plane crash, do you remember John Tanner? He was a dentist and in the 1st ward with us.